The Railway line was opened by the South Devon & Tavistock Railway on June 22nd 1859, and ran from Plymouth (Tavistock Junction) to Tavistock
On the 1st January 1876, the Great Western Railway (G.W.R) took over all of the South Devon lines.
At the great gauge conversion from 22nd to 24th May 1892, the branch line was converted to the standard four foot, eight and a half inch gauge we see today.
By the end of the 1950’s, it had become very vulnerable to competition from the roads, and the passenger service was withdrawn from the 31st December 1962
The Plym and Tamar Valleys Railway Association began at a meeting in February 1980