The Plym Valley Railway has several operational locomotives and a range of carriages and wagons on site. There are also engines under restoration. Information about many of our engines and rolling stock is available below.
Our locomotive roster is now available, click here to view.
Albert was built for the British Sugar Corporation, and worked at their Worcester & Somerset plants. She has been at the Nene Valley Railway and East Kent Railway before being privately purchased and coming to the Plym Valley Railway in 2004. She was sent to Portland for repairs, and returned in 2007. As of 2016, Albert is currently operational.
"Albert": Barclay, Works No. 2248
Built in 1948 by Andrew Barclay, Sons & Co. Ltd. at Kilmarnock, Scotland.
Works No. 2248
Boiler pressure: 160 psi
Weight: 35 tons approx in working order
Tractive effort: 19,430 lbs at 85% boiler pressure
No.705 was built by Andrew Barclay Sons Co. at their Caledonia works in 1937 with the works number 2047.The locomotive was built for the "The Clyde Valley Electrical Power Company" and was based at the "Yoker Power station" as locomotive number 4, near Glasgow beside the Clyde river. It spent its entire working life at this location shunting coal trucks to feed the Power Station until withdrawn in the 1970's. Later in the 1970's it was sold to a company who planned to build a railway on the Orkney Islands but this scheme failed, the locomotive remained stored at the Strathspey Railway until it was purchased by the previous owner who moved the locomotive to the East Somerset Railway where they finished its restoration and returned the locomotive to operations in 1994. The Swansea Harbour Trust Railway had similar locomotives which were absorbed into GWR stock in 1923,the previous owner decided to paint the locomotive into this 1923 GWR livery and numbered it 705 which was the next vacant number in the GWR series. The locomotive ran in GWR Green until its next overhaul in 2000 when again the East Somerset Railway restored the locomotive but this time in BR black which was kept until withdrawn in 2007. The locomotive was offered for sale and it was purchased by a PVR member in June 2011, the restoration started during 2012 work to date has included turning the tyres, machining the journals, new foundation ring, full re-
Byfield No. 2 was built in Bagnall’s, Stafford in 1942. It was constructed to help with the war effort in ironstone quarries around Northamptonshire. The steam engines worked in the area until 1965. In 1944 Byfield was transferred to Banbury and was there until 1947 when it was transferred to Kettering where it was renamed ‘Loddington No. 2’. The locomotive remained in the area for many years until it was sold to Hunt & Co at Hinkley in 1970 which gained it a new livery, blue. Byfield was rescued from Hinkley by enthusiasts for restoration and use on the Gloucester and Warwickshire Railway in the 1980s. It was withdrawn after its boiler expired in 1990. Byfield was then purchased by the Plym Valley Railway and moved to marsh mills in 2002. It is currently having a complete overhaul before it can be used again.
Name/Number: Byfield No. 2
Built: 18th February 1942, Bagnalls, Stafford
Works No: WB2655
Arrived at PVR: 7th September 2002
Weight: 38 Tons 10Cwt
Tractive effort: Approximately 19,000lb
Boiler Pressure: 175psi
Cylinders: 15x22 inch
Wheel Arrangement: 0-
Class 08 No. D13002
The ‘08’ arrived in an operational condition at the Plym Valley Railway in 1982 and for many years was the only operational engine on the railway. The locomotive was constructed in 1952 at Derby (the third Class 08 to be built) and served Bristol St Philips Marsh and Bristol Bath Road depot until 1972.
The locomotive was then sold to Foster Yeoman Ltd and moved to Merehead Quarry where it shunted stone trains. The locomotive became surplus to requirements in 1980 so was stored at Gloucester depot and was then sold to the Plym Valley Railway. The locomotive is currently painted in BR Black livery in ‘As built’ condition and displays 13002, the number given before receiving D3002. The locomotive was withdrawn from BR service before the TOPS classification so did not receive an 08XXX number.
Built in 1952 at Derby
Wheel arrangement: 0-
Weight: 50 tons
Worked at Plymstock cement works until 1988 then came to Plym Valley Railway in 1990. Vanguard has been key in the construction of the railway and after many years of work has been withdrawn for an overhaul.
Diesel Hydraulic " Vanguard" shunter
Built in 1963 at Thomas Hill, (Rotherham) Ltd. Vanguard works, Kilnhurst, Yorkshire
Weight: 29 tons
Engine: Rolls Royce 6 cylinder diesel
Wheel arrangement: 0-
Wheel Dia.: 3' 7"
The ‘Sentinel’ arrived in an operational condition at the Plym Valley Railway on 1st April 2015. The locomotive has had a life in Yorkshire and after being released into traffic by Rolls Royce, Shrewsbury on 11th July 1961 it was transported to Raisby Tarmac Quarry, Coxhoe, County Durham. The Durham Locomotive Preservation Group purchased the locomotive who moved the locomotive to the Weardale Railway in 2002. Under the same ownership the locomotive was moved to the NRM at Shildon during 2011 before being sold and moved to the Wensleydale Railway in March 2014. The locomotive was purchased privately and moved to the Plym Valley Railway for restoration which then lead to it standing in for the ‘Vanguard’ locomotive on Brake Van Rides and the works train enabling ‘Vanguard’ to undergo maintenance.
As of Summer 2018, the locomotive's restoration is complete and the locomotive is in service.
10077 Sentinel Industrial Locomotive
Built: Shrewsbury 1961
Weight: 34 Tones
Tractive Effort: 21600lb
Engine: Rolls Royce C6
Engine Power: 230hp
Maximum Speed: 18mph
The British Rail Classes 101 diesel-mechanical multiple units were built by Metro-Cammell at Washwood Heath in Birmingham, England from 1956 to 1959, following construction of a series of prototype units. These classes proved to be some of the most successful and longest-lived of BR's First Generation DMUs, second in longevity only to the Class 121, with the final five units being withdrawn on 24 December 2003. Our Unit “Lab 19 Iris II” consisting of DMBS 50222 and DMCL 50338 was launched into service in Sunderland in 1957 in BR Green livery and was used in Northern England and the Midlands until 1991 where it was transferred to departmental use with BR then Railtrack and then Network Rail re-numbered as 901002. The DMU was sold and transported to the West Somerset Railway in 2008 before being moved to the Barry Tourist Railway in 2009. The Plym Valley Railway purchased the unit in April 2023 and it arrived soon after.
Engines: (as built) AEC 220 6-cyl 150hp (from mid 70s refit) Leyland 680 6-cyl 150hp
Transmission: Mechanical Standard - 4 speed epicyclic gearbox with axle mounted final drives on the inner axle of driving bogies.
Brakes: Vacuum, Gresham twin pipe quick release system
Gangway Type: Midland scissor
Dimensions: 57' x 9' 3”
Weights: Driving Motor Brake Second, 32 tons approx - likely to be different due to departmental modifications.
Driving Motor Composite Lavatory, 32tons approx- likely to be different due to departmental modifications.
Max Speed: 70mph
The Class 117s commenced work for British Rail in 1959-
Built: Pressed Steel, Linwood, Scotland,-
51402 (Driving Motor Second (DMS)
51365, Driving Motor Brake Second (DMBS)
Weight: 36 Tons, each car.
Engines: Two B.U.T (Leyland) 680 6 cylinder horizontal diesels per car
Power: 150 h.p per engine
Coupling Code: Blue Square
Maximum Speed: 70mph
TKH49 – Vanguard came to the Plym Valley Railway on Thursday 17th November 2016 after leaving the Northampton & Lamport Railway after a change in the ownership and becoming privately owned.
The locomotive is based on a draft from the years 1927-
Builder – Fablok, Poland
Works Number – 5374
Loco Weight – 44.4 tons
Fuel Capacity – 2.5 tons
|Class 143 No. 143618
The British Rail Class 143 is a diesel multiple-unit railbus, part of the Pacer family of passenger trains introduced between 1985 and 1986. During the 1980s, British Rail (BR) was interested in replacing its first-generation diesel multiple units, particularly in the use of railbuses to service its lightly used branch lines. It was decided to develop such a vehicle with a high level of commonality with the widely used Leyland National bus, leading to its modular design serving as the basis for the design. The Class 143 embodied several advances over the original model in terms of ride quality and reliability. During its operating lives, the type was tasked with various passenger services across the United Kingdom; being initially operated in the North-East of England, all units were subsequently transferred to other regions, including Wales and South-West England. Due to their non-compliance with the Rail Vehicle Accessibility Regulations 2008, the Pacer family began to be withdrawn during the late 2010s. While modifications for compliance were proposed by rolling stock companies, no train operator took up the option. Great Western Railway (GWR) retired their Class 143 fleet in December 2020.
The Plym Valley Railway was given the chance to gain Class 143 No. 143618 from GWR in Spring 2022 and it arrived at Marsh Mills in May 2022. WIth a unique twist on the livery it wore with GWR 143618 is now operational on the Plym Valley Railway
Class 142 No. 142023
The British Rail Class 142 is a diesel multiple unit-passenger railbus. Theses were built for British Rail from 1985 to 1987. The class were built with a high level of commonality with the widely-used Leyland National bus similar to the 143 outlined above. They are part of the Pacer family of railbus. The last set was withdrawn from service in 2020 owing to non compliance with accessibility regulations 2008.
Over the years these units saw service in most parts of the UK, from the North East to the South West and even Wales. One unit even reached Canada!
Our unit 142023 arrived with us in January 2021 from storage at Heaton TMD in Newcastle!
The unit, still in Northern colours, the unit is operational.
|Ruston & Hornsby LSHH 0-6-0DH No. 429
The class 07, on which River Annan is based, was originally designed to replace steam power on the Southampton Docks network, which at its peak consisted of some 80 miles of track. The specifications for the class arose from a report produced by the General Managers of British Transport Docks and the Southern Region of British Railways. Due to the need to traverse small radius curves on the docks network, it was concluded that a compromise between a shorter wheelbase and greater power output was desirable, thus giving rise to the requirement for a locomotive with a fixed wheelbase not exceeding 10 ft and maximum power output of around 275 hp to 300 hp (with a weight not exceeding 10 tons). With the success of the class 07 design Ruston and Hornsby continued to build these locomotives, most of which saw service with the Army.
This particular example was built in 1961 for use with the MOD, it is powered by a 275 HP Paxman V6 engine. This locomotive is operational and can be seen running services to the same effect as 13002 our resident 08. With it being vacuum braked it is capable of running our Mk2 coaching stock on diesel days.
Class 31 No. 31190
The British Rail Class 31 diesel locomotive, also known as the Brush Type 2 and previously as Class 30, were built by Brush Traction from 1957-62. They were numbered in two series, D5500-D5699 and D5800-D5862. Construction of the first locomotive was completed in the final week of September 1957, and the handing-over took place on 31 October. The first Class 31 entered service in November 1957, after the launch of the Class 20 locomotive and was one of the Pilot Scheme locomotives ordered by British Railways to replace steam traction. They were originally built with Mirlees JVS12T 1,250 bhp (930 kW) (D5500–D5519) and 1,365 bhp (1,018 kW) engines and Brush electrical equipment, but the engines were not successful and in 1964 D5677 was fitted with an English Electric 12SVT engine, similar to the 12CSVT used in the Class 37 but without an intercooler, rated at 1,470 bhp (1,100 kW). The trial proved successful, and between 1965 and 1969 the entire class was re-engined. The de-rated engine was used as it was the maximum the electrical system could accept. Several sub classes exist, this particular example a 31/1 - The standard locomotive, fitted with Blue Star electro-pneumatic control, this sub class saw the majority of it's service career in North Eastern England.
This example D5613 entered service with British Railways in May 1960 and was renumbered into the TOPS series as 31190 in March 1974.
After it's service career 31190 saw a variety of use working for various operators such as railtrack, DC Rail and even West Coast, it even carried the name 'Gryphon' between 2000 and 2006. It was preserved after it was withdrawn in May 2015.
Following delivery from the Weardale Railway in April 2021 work on restoring this locomotive has commenced.
This locomotive is currently under overhaul.