The original track had been built to Brunel’s broad gauge of seven foot and one quarter inches, so to accommodate the L.S.W.R trains a third rail had to be introduced. To complicate matters, at Lee Moor Crossing, the Lee Moor Tramway had a four foot six inch gauge, this crossed the railway line and so gave rise to a very rare three gauge crossing. The remains of this crossing can still be seen at the Plym Valley Railway today. At Lee Moor Crossing, where the train continues to Plym Bridge Platform, the current cycle path crossing the line follows the old Lee Moor Tramway route. At the time of its operation, the horse drawn Lee Moor Tramway wagons took precedence over the steam hauled trains. On 2nd June 1890, the L.S.W.R ran from Lydford to Devonport, via Tavistock North and Bere Alston and so the line became a G.W.R only branch line again. At the great gauge conversion from 22nd to 24th May 1892, the branch line was converted to the standard four foot, eight and a half inch gauge we see today.