In the 20th century there was a boom in rail travel, from the Edwardian period and through the Second World War. After this had finished the line became part of British Railways, (Western Region). By the end of the 1950’s, it had become very vulnerable to competition from the roads, and the passenger service was withdrawn from the 31st December 1962. The withdrawal delayed by the heavy blizzards experienced that year. In 1964 Marsh Mills to Tavistock was closed completely and the rails lifted. Within two years the northern freight sections were abandoned and, on 4th April 1965 a new link from Tavistock Junction served both the china clay works and the Coypool M.O.D. depot, both of which have since closed.