The Plym Valley Railway has several operational locomotives and a range of carriages and wagons on site. There are also engines under restoration. Information about many of our engines and rolling stock is available below.
Albert was built for the British Sugar Corporation, and worked at their Worcester & Somerset plants. She has been at the Nene Valley Railway and East Kent Railway before being privately purchased and coming to the Plym Valley Railway in 2004. She was sent to Portland for repairs, and returned in 2007. As of 2016, Albert is currently under overhaul.
"Albert": Barclay, Works No. 2248
Built in 1948 by Andrew Barclay, Sons & Co. Ltd. at Kilmarnock, Scotland.
Works No. 2248
Boiler pressure: 160 psi
Weight: 35 tons approx in working order
Tractive effort: 19,430 lbs at 85% boiler pressure
No.705 was built by Andrew Barclay Sons Co. at their Caledonia works in 1937 works number 2047.The locomotive was built for the "The Clyde Valley Electrical Power Company" and was based at the "Yoker Power station" as locomotive number 4, near Glasgow beside the Clyde river. It spent its entire working life at this location shunting coal trucks to feed the Power Station until withdrawn in the 1970's. Later in the 1970's it was sold to a company who planned to build a railway on the Orkney Islands but this scheme failed,the locomotive remained stored at the Strathspey Railway until it was purchased by the previous owner who moved the locomotive to the East Somerset Railway where they finished its restoration and returned the locomotive to operations in 1994. The Swansea Harbour Trust Railway had similar locomotives which were absorbed into GWR stock in 1923,the previous owner decided to paint the locomotive into this 1923 GWR livery and numbered it 705 which was the next vacant number in the GWR series.The locomotive ran in GWR Green until its next overhaul in 2000 when again the East Somerset Railway restored the locomotive but this time in BR black which was kept until withdrawn in 2007. The locomotive was offered for sale and it was purchased by a PVR member in June 2011, the restoration started during 2012 work to date has included turning the tyres, machining the journals, new foundation ring, full re-
Byfield No. 2 was built in Bagnall’s, Stafford in 1942. It was constructed to help with the war effort in ironstone quarries around Northamptonshire. The steam engines worked in the area until 1965. In 1944 Byfield was transferred to Banbury and was there until 1947 when it was transferred to Kettering where it was renamed ‘Loddington No. 2’. The locomotive remained in the area for many years until it was sold to Hunt & Co at Hinkley in 1970 which gained it a new livery, blue. Byfield was rescued from Hinkley by enthusiasts for restoration and use on the Gloucester and Warwickshire Railway in the 1980s. It was withdrawn after its boiler expired in 1990. Byfield was then purchased by the Plym Valley Railway and moved to marsh mills in 2002. It is currently having a complete overhaul before it can be used again.
Name/Number: Byfield No. 2
Built:: 18th February 1942, Bagnalls, Stafford
Works No: WB2655
Arrived at PVR: 7th September 2002
Weight: 38 Tons 10Cwt
Tractive effort: Approximately 19,000lb
Boiler Pressure: 175psi
Cylinders: 15x22 inch
Wheel Arrangement: 0-
Class 08 No. D3002
The ‘08’ arrived in an operational condition at the Plym Valley Railway in 1982 and for many years was the only operational engine on the railway. The locomotive was constructed in 1952 at Derby (the third Class 08 to be built) and served Bristol St Philips Marsh and Bristol Bath Road depot until 1972.
The locomotive was then sold to Foster Yeoman Ltd and moved to Merehead Quarry where it shunted stone trains. The locomotive became surplus to requirements in 1980 so was stored at Gloucester depot and was then sold to the Plym Valley Railway. The locomotive is currently painted in BR Black livery in ‘As built’ condition and displays 13002, the number given before receiving D3002. The locomotive was withdrawn from BR service before the TOPS classification so did not receive an 08XXX number.
Built in 1952 at Derby
Wheel arrangement: 0-
Weight: 50 tons
Worked at Plymstock cement works until 1988 then came to Plym Valley Railway in 1990. Vanguard has been key in the construction of the railway and after many years of work has been withdrawn for an overhaul.
Diesel Hydraulic " Vanguard" shunter
Built in 1963 at Thomas Hill, (Rotherham) Ltd. Vanguard works, Kilnhurst, Yorkshire
Weight: 29 tons
Engine: Rolls Royce 6 cylinder diesel
Wheel arrangement: 0-
Wheel Dia.: 3' 7"
The ‘Sentinel’ arrived in an operational condition at the Plym Valley Railway on 1st April 2015. The locomotive has had a life in Yorkshire and after being released into traffic by Rolls Royce, Shrewsbury on 11th July 1961 it was transported to Raisby Tarmac Quarry, Coxhoe, County Durham. The Durham Locomotive Preservation Group purchased the locomotive who moved the locomotive to the Weardale Railway in 2002. Under the same ownership the locomotive was moved to the NRM at Shildon during 2011 before being sold and moved to the Wensleydale Railway in March 2014. The locomotive was purchased privately and has moved to the Plym Valley Railway for restoration which will then lead to it standing in for the ‘Vanguard’ locomotive on Brake Van Rides and the works train which will enable ‘Vanguard’ to undergo maintenance.
The long term plan for the locomotive is to fit vacuum brakes to the engine so that it can work our full passenger train, of which the locomotive is more than capable of. As of Summer 2016, the locomotive's restoration is complete and the locomotive is in service.
10077 Sentinel Industrial Locomotive
Built: Shrewsbury 1961
Weight: 34 Tones
Tractive Effort: 21600lb
Engine: Rolls Royce C6
Engine Power: 230hp
Maximum Speed: 18mph
Class 03 No. D2046
D2046 was built at Doncaster in 1958 and worked in the North East of England before being withdrawn at Thornaby in 1971 before receiving a Class 03 TOPS number. The locomotive was sold to Gulf Oil and was used at Waterston Refinery, Milford Haven carrying ‘No. 2’ The locomotive was then moved to Pembrokeshire and then to Merthyr Tydfil in 2000 where it was repainted and prepared for sale. By March 2006, D2046 had been moved to Goodman’s Yard, Sutton Coldfield and it was then purchased privately and moved to the Plym Valley Railway. The locomotive is currently under restoration.
D2046 BR Class 03
Built: Doncaster 1958
Withdrawn: Thornaby, 1971
Weight: 30 Tons 17Cwt
Tractive Effort: 15,300lb
Driving Wheels: 3’7”
Engine: Gardner 8L3
Engine Power: 204hp at 1200 r.p.m
Maximum Speed: 28.5mph
The Class 117s commenced work for British Rail in 1959-
Built: Pressed Steel, Linwood, Scotland,-
51402 (Driving Motor Second (DMS)
51365, Driving Motor Brake Second (DMBS)
Weight: 36 Tons, each car.
Engines: Two B.U.T (Leyland) 680 6 cylinder horizontal diesels per car
Power: 150 h.p per engine
Coupling Code: Blue Square
Maximum Speed: 70mph
TKH49 – Vanguard came to the Plym Valley Railway on Thursday 17th November 2016 after leaving the Northampton & Lamport Railway after a change in the ownership and becoming privately owned.
The locomotive is based on a draft from the years 1927-
Builder – Fablok, Poland
Works Number – 5374
Loco Weight – 44.4 tons
Fuel Capacity – 2.5 tons